Thursday, June 21, 2007

Words that Cut

I was reading my devotional today and the author was talking about sarcasm and that it can be "far more serious than we might want to believe." Sarcasm is something I've tried to work on in the past couple years. I know I can be sarcastic at times but if I am I usually try and make sure the person knows I'm only kidding. A couple years ago I guess I took my sarcasm a little too far and a friend called me on it. She asked if I always had to be a jerk to her. I didn't realize that the things I was saying were affecting her so. I felt really bad and apologized for hurting her and from that point on I've tried to keep myself from taking things that far. Everyone is different and the sarcasm you use on your best friends might not be taken as well by others. I know how brutal words can be sometimes and how they can be more damaging in some cases than any physical injury you could receive.

No comments: